Monday, February 1, 2016

Review: #GIRLBOSS

Tittle: #GIRLBOSS
Author: Sophia Amoruso
Publisher: Portofolio Penguin
Pages: 290 Pages
Rating: 3/5 Stars

By age twenty-two, Sophia Amoruso was broke,directionless and checking IDs in the lobby of an art school for cash. It was in that lobby that Sophia decided to start selling vintage clothes on eBay.

Flash forward ten years to today, and she's the founder and executive chairman of Nasty Gal, a $250-million-plus fashion retailer with more than 400 employees. Sophia was never a typical CEO, and she's written #GIRLBOSS for other girls like her: outsiders (and insiders) seeking unique path to success, even when that path is lined with naysayers.

“If you’re frustrated because you’re not getting what you want, stop for a second: Have you actually flat-out asked for it? If you haven’t, stop complaining. You can’t expect the world to read your mind. You have to put it out there, and sometimes putting it out there is as simple as just saying, “Hey, can I have that?”
I was totally going for some inspiring-business-book when I picked this book on my way to Singapore last September, and guess what? I finished it on February (prove that I didn't enjoy this book). #GIRLBOSS mainly tell about Sophia's journey from a -dumpster-living-chick to your-not-typical-CEO. She's the kind of I-don't-buy-your-bullshit types, straightforward, and funny. I actually love some advice she gave here, like Instead of spending time on the forums, obsessing about what other sellers were doing or saying, Sophia focused on making her store as unique as possible. After a year and a half, she had outgrown the rented pool house she’d been living and working in, and moved into a 1,000-square-foot loft in an old shipyard in Benicia, California. How she thinks of her customer more than herself and many more. But, I didn't quite enjoy this book, I always think to have my own clothing line, so I expect this book would help me figure something up. But, I adore her honesty and acceptance of self. She doesn't sugar coat things, and yet reassures you that if you put your mind to it, you can do it. She believes that success is not about luck; it's about hard work. Which is great because some people thinks that success is more about luck instead of hard work. 

But some things are just not for me, especially how she went from someone that think "$50 for a tops is not worth it, to someone who sells $50 for a tops (I once want o bought something for Nasty Gal before I read this book because some Youtuber bought a cute shirt which is turn out to be a $89 shirt :))  But I am going to recommend this book to my friend who own a online shop,it may be not for me but work some people.  Also, I liked the chapter in which Sophia gave tips about what to do and not do in a job interview and what to write in your resume.  That might come handy later in life. 


I think everyone should tap into their entrepreneurial spirit. However, I don't think everyone should be entrepreneur.

No comments:

Post a Comment